Here’s a fresh take on old clothes: make ‘em into plush toys. Based out of Atlanta, the teddylux company (designer Brooke Serson Cernonok) will “upcycle” your last season cashmere sweater into soft bunnies, bears and elephants. You can simply donate your cashmere here or have it turned into a custom creation for about the same price ($50-$60) as one of the animals on their website. OK so they look kind of cutesy like they’re for kids. Not so fast: the Teddylux FAQ anticipated that and responds:
What symbolizes comfortable memories of childhood more than a teddy bear? Although teddylux bears are popular gifts for new babies and children, why should they have all the fun? Spoil a friend or girlfriend. Surprise your wife. Win over your mother-in-law with a thoughtful gift of a teddylux bear.
These are handcrafted plushes, so each piece is unique. But here are the basic stats for the bunnies:
- Every teddylux cashmere bunny is sewn to order in our studio with the softest recycled cashmere - please allow a week for sewing + shipping.
- teddylux bunnies are approx. 16 inches tall from ears to feet, 10 inches tall sitting.
- teddylux bunnies have recycled leather/suede features, securely fused, vintage silk accents on undersides of long floppy ears, yarn pompom tail
- Bunnies are stuffed made with recycled, non-allergenic polyfill
- Each bunny has a sweet grosgrain or recycled silk necktie ribbon
- Includes story of the teddylux bunny’s recycled roots + certificate of authenticity and teddylux cashmere woven tag
- All teddylux items are gift boxed and beribboned, ready for gift giving
What a great idea. The next time I mess up and put a dry-clean only sweater in the washing machine, I’m sending it straight to teddylux.