Monday, July 8, 2013

Askew Thunderclap Headache Print & ONEFIFTY Original Artwork


1xRUN are excited to welcome back New Zealand artist Askew as he has returned with his latest print Thunderclap Headache, in addition Askew has also brought 1xRUN collectors an exclusive sampling of original artwork from his recent ONEFIFTY series.

Widely regarded as one of the New Zealand graffiti scene’s driving forces, Askew has managed to remain at the forefront of the movement (both in New Zealand and throughout the world) whilst working tirelessly behind the scenes in a diverse array of projects.

Askew’s indoor canvas works are influenced by double exposure photography, bold illustrative lines reflective of comic books and the graphic power of the letter. This is also seen in his public mural works in which his attraction to ‘bigger is better’ is highly precedent.

Thunderclap Headache is a 16 x 17 Inches Archival Pigment Print on 330gsm Fine Art Paper with a signed and numbered edition of 25

"I painted this piece in Miami while I was doing a residency out there. It was a real breakthrough moment for me in regards to my paintings. The flavor of this painting has continued right through into my most recent works. I actually suffered from what's referred to as a Thunderclap Headache. I was walking to my studio one day and was struck down suddenly, collapsing right in the middle of the street carrying all my gear, my camera's, hard drives and laptop. I had stroke like symptoms, was partially paralysed and struggling to speak. To most people I looked drunk but a medical student was passing by and recognised that I could be having a stroke. Next minute I was in an ambulance and off to the emergency room, then admitted to a stroke ward with all these people that were in terrible states. One guy woke up totally blind, another couldn't walk or talk. It was pretty scary. I felt 95% better about 10 minutes after I got to hospital but to be honest it took a couple of years before all the symptoms went away. I still have some very subtle things, but have learned to live with it, know my limitations a lot better than I used to. A friend said to me 'don't worry bro, it was just your brain resetting, telling you to take a little rest' and it was like that. It was a wake up call and I was really inspired afterwards to focus on my paintings. This painting represents that story, but also the spark of inspiration and a new breath of life with my art." - Askew

 Buy it at 1xRUN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in