Friday, May 7, 2010

Alejandro Escovedo, live on “Austin City Limits” poster by Chuck Sperry


I'll let Chuck tell you about the poster :

Alejandro Escovedo is a legend in my book. I was very happy to hear from Mark Pedini at the television program “Austin City Limits,” who told me my poster design and printing skills were being requested to make a very special poster for Mr. Escovedo’s appearance on their well-known live music broadcast.

Since making dozens of posters for Alejandro’s brother Mario Escovedo and his legendary band the Dragons (a few of which are published in The Art of Modern Rock poster book), I’ve been trying to put a really stellar piece together for Alejandro for a few years.

I told my good friend Lawrence “El” Colacion about the Alejandro poster. Lawrence is a well-known Mission / punk rock artist extraordinaire and a fan of Alejandro’s band “Rank and File.” He was over at Hangar 18 printing some cool sacred heart / punk rock art pieces. Lawrence said, “Dude, if you make a killer Lady of Guadalupe print – that would be perfect.” I ran with the idea. I gave my virgin a bit more figure, and went crazy on the hair. But that’s just how God’s mom looks to me.

This piece is a homage to a great musician, Alejandro Escovedo, my friendship with his brother Mario, and my friendship to “El” Colacion, my connection to the Mission art scene, my deep concern for the border politics in America that are running off the rails. I’d say this one sums up a lot for me. And in the end I’ve got none for sale, sorry, it’s too personal and I’m holding on to the very few I have.

Poster will be made available by Austin City Limits at the live taping for Alejandro Escovedo on Friday, May 7, 2010.

Alejandro Escovedo

Austin City Limits
Season 36 • KLRU • Studio 6A
Friday, May 7, 2010
Edition of 100
7 colors on archival cream paper
23″ x 35″
Signed and Numbered

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in