Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Mishka Westell Jack White Patty Griffin Agave Posters & More



Mishka Westell has 5 new posters she just released.

Details from her:

I created this 'Brick Man' print for Jack White's Tulsa show last week. I was working with melancholic themes of solitude and isolation, self-imposed and enforced. But the image also represents hope - a glimpse of freedom and possibilities, a way to break out of a situation. We all need an eyehole in our brick wall!

Hayes Carll and The Tender Things played at the legendary Texas venue Greune Hall last week - built in 1878 and the oldest continually run dance hall in Texas. The picturesque town features a beautiful river and iconic water tower which I wanted to include but in an abstract way. And the night of the show was a rare 'supermoon'. I have just a few personal copies of this one.

I love working with Patty Griffin so much, for this most recent tour poster we discussed themes of rebirth and regeneration and wanted to reference a phoenix rising from the ashes in some way. In my research I accidentally came across the French Nouveau artist Erté, and was inspired to try and create something in a similar style, a fun departure from anything I've done before. Yet using more saturated colours and patterns verging on psychedelic/Indian textiles.

IFC Films asked me to create an 'old school Austin' style poster for their latest film about the legendary country musician Blaze Foley, directed by Ethan Hawke. Having seen and loved the film I was excited to draw this one. Ethan and the musician/actor Ben Dickey toured Texas to promote the film and gave these out free to attendees. Blaze was nick-named the Duct Tape Messiah because he liked to utilize it in so many ways, adding it to his boots and clothing. A tragic but compelling story that I recommend you go see.

Finally, way back in June I made a linoleum print for the annual Marfa Agave Festival, which celebrates the culture and history of the agave cactus - including it's uses in food and drink and textiles. The prints in my store are silkscreens taken from the block print.

Buy them at  https://mishkawestell.com/ in her shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in