Saturday, November 3, 2012

Jane’s Addiction at the Warfield Poster by Chuck Sperry


Chuck Sperry is at last back from Argentina, rode out a hurricane in New York and avoided a crane that nearly came down and him and Chris Shaw as a result of hurricane sandy hitting New York.

Jane’s Addiction at the Warfield, October 18, 2012
Firehouse-Goldenvoice No. 167
20 x 25
Edition of 125
3 colors on red linen textured paper
Signed and Numbered

Chuck will be making a very limited release of this poster on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at a random time. A portion of my proceeds from this release will be donated to the American Red Cross.
 Buy the poster HERE

Chuck on how he designed the poster:
My Jane’s Addiction poster is a result of working on my two hour, powerpoint illustrated, presentation for Latin-America’s biggest design conference, Trimarchi in Mar del Plata, Argentina, which I delivered on October 13, 2012. There, I presented my work and offered detailed reference to my influences in the work of San Francisco artists, Wes Wilson, Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, Lee Conklin, Bonnie MacLean and Gary Grimshaw. I also made explicit reference to Alphonse Mucha, Gustav Klimt, Alfred Roller, Koloman Moser and the Vienna Secession. I was given access to include in my presentation a myriad of high resolution images of these artists’ work through Phil Cushway, who is in the process of compiling “The Art of the Dead,” which he will be debuting later this year or early next. Phil was very generous in allowing me to preview these images to the largest Spanish speaking design conference in the world, which are reserved for his book, but did so, as he said, because my guidance and sharing with him of my understanding of the roots of the San Francisco poster tradition were crucial to the main theme and thrust of his forthcoming book.
Looking at all that amazing poster art work resulted in my Jane’s Addiction poster, a depiction of the Golden Goose, in three colors. It draws equally from all these traditions and pushes them into the 21st Century. I achieved a vibrant Eye-Fry by printing a thick layer of light blue directly onto the red paper it visually reacts with (instead of using a red ink against blue ink as I have in the past). The gold and silver overlays and react in surprising ways with the textured blue ink and on the red linen textured paper. I’m very happy with the result!

Chuck has two more posters coming from the Firehouse Goldenvoice series – for shows that occurred at the Warfield while he was away. He will be revealing those later this next week. A portion of his proceeds from all three releases will be donated to the American Red Cross.

His book High Volume is set to be released very soon as well lots going on, get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in