Friday, April 22, 2016

Ken Taylor Screaming Hand Print Release




The Screaming Hand by Ken Taylor

In 1985, in a small art studio on the Eastside of Santa Cruz, CA, Jim Phillips Sr. was creating images that unbeknownst to him would affect generations of artists and skateboarders to come. Of all of the iconic imagery that Jim created; the Screaming Hand logo has stood the test of time. Thirty years after its inception, the Screaming Hand still remains an unmistakable symbol of youth and skateboard culture.In honor of Jim Phillips Sr. and the Screaming Hand logo, over 48 of the world’s most influential artists were asked to interpret and pay homage to this iconic image. Ken Taylor was one of the those artists.

Ken on his print:
 My first memory of the screaming hand was when i was 12 or 13 and was getting into skating which eventually led me towards graff. It takes me back to my skool daze, drawing that hand over and over. on school folders, my old yellow canvas school bag, files, pencil cases – pretty much any item I owned that was meant to stay neat and tidy was covered in the hand and a bunch of other 80’s skate graphics.

In many ways I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel. I tried to think – what would 13year old me do? &I went from there. I wanted to bring some custom type into it and I loved the original image of the hand with the Santa Cruz popping out the end, so that’s where it all stemmed from. It was seriously the most fun I have had with a piece in ages. I really enjoyed working on it.
Signed and numbered edition of 100, but only 28 prints remain for sale to the public. Six color silkscreen on 100lb stock measuring 16.5 x 23.5 inch.

On sale USA time Saturday 23rd April - 7am PDT - 10am EDT. at www.beyondthepale.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in