Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Shepard Fairey Artists For Freedom Poster Release

Obey Giant will have a new poster from Shepard Fairey this week.

Details from Shepard on the poster:

Philippe Vergne from MOCA asked me if I would be willing to work on not only the graphic design identity system for the MOCA/Sotheby’s Spring auction, but to also create a fine art piece for the auction that relates to the design for the auction itself. I was excited to explore this concept because we live in a culture of compartmentalization but I believe that things are far more fluid between the fine art and design worlds than many gatekeepers are willing to acknowledge. Of course all of this was in service of an institution I believe does a lot for artists and should be supported by artists. This led to the concept of symbiotic support and creative freedom for the institution and the artists themselves facilitated by this symbiosis. My screen print is based on the painting I created for the auction, once again playing into the concept by yielding a more graphic version of a fine art piece but with a clear relationship to it and a lower price tag. I’m a populist so all of this works for me, hope it does for you.– Shepard

The poster is a 18 x 24 inch screen print on cream speckletone paper.  Signed and numbered edition of 400.

Release date: May 12, 2015 at 10am PDT in PRINTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in